Rice Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a rice cooker, combine rice, water, spices, bell pepper and onion. Start cooker.
- After 10 minutes, stir in ham. (If you have a bit of ham bone, throw that in too). Allow cooker to finish its cycle.
- Stir in kidney beans and close lid. Leave on warm 5-10 minutes until beans are heated through before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!