Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is delicious enough to eat as a meal or makes a very interesting side dish to a roast.
- 1⁄2 cup orange rind, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 140 g water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- Soak orange peel and apricots in wine.
- Bring 5 cups of water to the boil. I find the water to rice ratio is usually 3:1 for brown and 2:1 for white. Your brand may be different so follow the guidelines for water quantity for boiling the brand you are using.
- Add bouillon cubes to the boil and add brown rice only.
- Boil brown rice for 20 minutes and then add white rice.
- Reduce heat and cook for another 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Drain rice and combine with all other ingredients.
Didn't have brown rice, so I made this just with white, but that was fine. It actually simplified the calculations and the rice got done much quicker. Love the combination of the spicy turmeric with the soft sweet fruit and the crunch of my beloved water chestnuts. A treat for me!