1/2 Photos of Warming Barley and Vegetable Soup
1 hr 45 mins
This is brilliant for Weight Watchers and is tasty even for those not watching their waistlines! The whole recipe, made as written, provides 15 points. I find it makes 6 bowls, so it's only 2.5 points per bowl. It's so filling that you won't be hungry until your next meal! It's worth including the parsnip in this recipe even though they can be hard to find as its flavour shines through in this dish. Make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable stock rather than chicken stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peas
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chicken stock cube (or other preferred seasoning)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Rinse the pearl barley in water. You may need to soak it if the package directions recommend it. Otherwise try to find a "no-soak" variety.
- 2Put the pearl barley and chicken stock in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Skim off any scum.
- 3Stir in all the vegetables from carrots to garlic. Crumble in the stock cube (I use this purely to add flavour- you could use another seasoning mix).
- 4Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. The vegetables should be covered by enough liquid throughout- add more stock or water if they are not.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick for your liking, stir in a small amount of water or milk.
- 6Serve hot and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warming Barley and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (512 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.2
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.5 mg
- Sodium 1016.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: