Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Okay, I know there are 157 recipes for Mexican Dip, but this one really IS different. Serve warm. It won't be the prettiest dip at the table, but it will be the best! My kids loved it so much, they would eat it by the bowl with chips and call it a meal! Makes alot, but don't worry, it won't last long... (Note: jar/can sizes are approximate - will correct, if needed, once I can check them out.)
- 2 (16 ounce) jars tamales, mashed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili, no beans (a mild meat-only type -no chunky types)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) jar picante sauce
- In a 5 quart saucepan, mash tamales with a potato masher and begin to warm over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, chili and picante sauce.
- Grate cheese and add to heated mixture. Continue to heat until cheese melts.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
Oh, YUM! This is MY kind of comfort food!! I made this for a bunch of friends over the weekend and they loved it! There were NO leftovers (even though it really does make alot). I added a 4 oz can of mild chopped green chilis for a little extra flavor, but I don't really think I needed it! (Next time, I'll taste first and add after!) Thanks, this is sure to be a favorite!
Made this tonight as a snack. I did cut it in half, and instead of using all cheddar cheese, I used half cream cheese also. It is super yummy, and I am glad I cut it in half because it does make a TON! I filled an 8 in x 8 in casserole dish completely to the top. Thanks for posting this quick dip!
This may not be the prettiest dip in the world but it is absolutely wonderful! The tamale flavor, which I love, is present throughout the recipe and sets it apart from every other Mexican dip I've tried. I served it as an appetizer last night before a family dinner and we enjoyed every last bit of it! Thank you for sharing this yummy dip, Jeanne. Into my "Tried and Try" cookbook it goes! **Made for Spring PAC 2008**