Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Gourmet magazine, October 1994.
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, 2-inch diameter
- 10 slices bacon, 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan combine potatoes with salted water to cover by 1 inch and simmer until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a large heavy skillet cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Drain potatoes and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes into eighths and in a bowl combine with bacon.
- Keep mixture warm, covered.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet and saute onion over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and broth and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to warm potatoes with parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, tossing gently, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve potato salad warm or at room temperature, garnished with parsley.
Easy and good. It seems there are many different styles of German potato salad, and this is a great way to make one of them. Thoroughly enjoyed with a pair of small brats. Made for Zaar World Tour.
Great German potato salad recipe. Very easy to make. I took this to our Memorial Day cookout and everyone loved it. Made for ZWT 4.