Octoberfest German Potato Salad
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 8 -10 slices uncooked bacon
- 3 lbs potatoes (peeled and sliced or chopped)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings (or add in oil to bacon grease to make 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar (use white or cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper (or to taste)
- In a skillet cook the bacon slices until almost crisp; remove to a plate (DO NOT discard the bacon grease!) chop or finely slice the cooked bacon; set aside.
- Place the sliced or cubed potatoes into a large pot; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes until tender but still firm (about 12-15 minutes DO NOT overcook!) drain and transfer to a large bowl add in the onion.
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, garlic powder, 1/4 cup bacon grease (can use 1/4 cup vegetable oil instead of bacon grease) vinegar, sugar, parsley, seasoned (or white) salt and black pepper; mix well to combine; pour over the cooked potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon on top of the salad.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 or more hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Haven't made this but plan to...Yummm...I love German potato salad and I loved it even moreson when I lived in Germany. I wouldn't substitute the veg oil for the bacon grease (as Emeril says "Porkfat Rules" and to me that would somewhat take away from the flavor if you substitute. The only thing I did notice ..At least in the part of Germany I lived in,often there was onion in with the "kartoffel salad"...If I was to add any I would probably quickly blanch them to soften but not cook. Glad to find this recipe!!!