Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Eat Caribbean cookbook says that green cabbage is a standard food throughout the islands and is used in salads and rundowns, fried with salt fish or steamed with carrots.
- oil (for frying)
- 12 ounces peeled fresh pineapple, cored and cut into chuncks
- 1 onion, chopped into wedges
- 3 -4 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 3 -4 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon honey (only necessary if the pineapple is too tart)
- 12 ounces green cabbage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Add the pineapple chunks to the hot oil, stirring so they don't burn ( you do want the pineapple to brown slightly).
- Add the onion, herbs and peanuts and fry for 2 more minutes. Taste the pineapple and add the honey if you need to at this time.
- Toss in the cabbage and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Stir for about 4-6 minutes until the cabbage is linghtly cooked. Then serve with rice.
This was a pleasant surprise! I thought it would be good but it's really terrific. I used thyme and cashews instead of peanuts as I was using them in another dish as well. My pineapple was pretty sweet so I didn't need to add the honey. Really enjoyed this delightfully unusual dish - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
Much enjoyed, I didnt trouble with the honey since the pineapple was quite sweet (I liked the idea of braising it), and I didnt have peanuts so used some raw cashews, hope you dont mind, they did work quite well in the dish! Very nice, thank you, Ck2plz, made for ZWT9, Hot Pink Panthers On The Prowl.
This is why I love ZWT!. The dish is quite different but very good. I used fresh rosemary from my garden. This was served as a side dish for Chicken Tacos With Charred Tomatoes. Made for ZWT9.