Recipe by annroberts54
When i first saw this recipe I thought it looked interesting but I never thought I would adore it as much as I do. It is adapted from WiGal's Creamed Cabbage Soup. I had to make it a little healthier to fit into my Weight Watchers Life Style. On Core it is 0 points if you are sure to use very lean ham.
Top Review by NeilA
Excellent recipe. Easy to make. Everyone in the house loved it. The only change I would make when I make it again, and I will, would be to substitute finely, chopped country ham that had been lightly sauteed. I think the salty ham would provide a nice contrast to the slightly, sweet soup.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (12 ounce) cans fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup lean ham, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven combine all chopped vegetables(except cabbage) and olive oil. Over low flame cook veggies until soft, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add chicken broth and cabbage and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add milk, spices and ham and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or so. If desired you can thicken soup by adding non fat dry milk a quarter cup at a time and stirring in til dissolved well. This will add nutrition to soup as well.