Recipe by Chef Erin
Recipe came from "Aunt Lynn". As she says, this is "happy", and you will be too. This is the easiest recipe for a classic Italian meal. Prep time is exact.
Top Review by Adam likes food and friends
Vodka sauce is my favorite, so i had to learn how to make it. This one was just about everything I wanted in a creamy vodka sauce. One thing I added was some crushed red peppers to give it a little spice. I also made it a little more chunky by using one can of petite diced tomatoes and one can of crushed tomatoes instead of two cans of crushed tomatoes. This is very popular among my friends at Penn State, so thanks a bunch!
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups vodka, premium quality, will make a difference
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, garlic, and olive oil in large sauce pot until translucent, do NOT overcook or brown.
- Add 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, and vodka.
- Cook about 1/2 hour or until all alcohol has burned off.
- Add heavy cream and basil.
- Add tomato paste to your discretion, although sauce should be of a thick consistency, some people like theirs thin.
- Let sauté about 1/2 hour.
- Serve with penne and freshly grated parmesan cheese.