Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yes, here is another delicious soup recipe from "Fabulous Fat Free Cooking" I know you will enjoy. Posted for those looking for some hearty low-fat recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (12oz)
- 2 cups fresh whole kernel corn
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped (whites and greens)
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- fresh ground pepper
- In a blender or food processor combine 1 cup (8 oz) of vegetable broth, 1 cup corn kernels, half the onions and half the potatoes; process into a coarse puree.
- Pour puree mixture into a large non-stick saucepan and bring to an almost boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally 10 minutes.
- Mix in the leeks, red peppers, green peppers, sugar (or sugar substitute) cumin, thyme and curry powder.
- Add the remaining corn kernels, onions, and potatoes.
- Cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Should a thinner consistency be desired simply add the additional 1/2 cup broth.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This was delicious but I think half of the onions would have been better. I used about 3/4 of the onions specified but we still felt there were too many. But otherwise...we loved it!
Very good chowder. I was a little leary using the curry powder as I don't have much experience using it but it really added to the chowder. This was so eash to make, thanks Carla
Finally a chowder that I can eat and not feel guilty about. This is a great recipe. I love chowders, but they can be so fattening. Now I can eat this and be happy. Made exactly as directed.