Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This won on Food Network's Utlimate Challenge, courtesy of Brigitte Nguyen. Looked and was judged overly spicy with the sliced jalapenos as posted, so I suggest at least seeding them, if not halving the quantity. Apart from that, I called it the winner before the dishes were even made; can't wait to try them.
Pickled Daikon and Carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned daikon radishes
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned carrots
- 3⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing the grill rack
- 6 good quality sesame-seed kaiser rolls, split
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons spreadable pork pate or 6 tablespoons liver pate
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced
- 18 fresh fresh cilantro stems
- To make the Pickled Daikon and Carrot, combine the daikon, carrot, vinegar, and sugar in a bowl, tossing well to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high. If a grill is unavailable, simply heat a grill pan over medium-high heat on your stovetop.
- To make the Patties, combine the pork, garlic, diced chiles, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce, five-spice powder, sugar, and lime zest and juice in a bowl, mixing well to incorporate. Divide the mixture into 6 portions and form into round patties.
- Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack and grill for 6 to 7 minutes per side, until cooked through. Turn the patties 90 degrees halfway through cooking on each side, to attain grill marks.
- Spread the cut side of each bun half with 1/2 tablespoon butter and grill until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise on the cut side of each bun bottom and 1 tablespoon of the pate on the cut side of each bun top. Place the cucumber and chile slices on the bun bottoms and top with burger patties. Drain the carrot and daikon pickles and pile a generous amount atop each patty. Add the cilantro sprigs and the pate-smeared bun tops. Enjoy!
these are very easy to make but over all we didnt think there was any need to put as much filling in.it would work just as well with just the pattie and the pate. the pattie was incredible.