Big Bistro Burgers With Caramelized Shallots
- Ready In:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices crusty country bread
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can sliced beets, drained and cut into sticks
- 6 cups arugula (or frisse, watercress, or baby spinach)
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat a grill pan or grill to high.
- Preheat a small skillet over medium-high heat wth 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the sherry vinegar and continue to cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and reserve.
- While the shallots are getting brown, in a large bowl, combine the beef, thyme, Worcestershire, grill seasoning, and Dijon mustard.
- Divide the meat into 4 portions. Form large patties about 1 1/4 inches.
- Coat the beef patties with a good drizzle of EVOO. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare, 7 to 8 minutes per side for medium well to well.
- Drizzle of brush EVOO onto both sides of the bread slices, season with salt and pepper, and add to the grill.
- Cook until well marked on both sides, remove from the grill, and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the beets and greens and drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons of EVOO, and a little salt and pepper. Toss to coat; add the crumbled goat cheese and toss to distribute.
- To serve, divide the grilled bread among 4 serving plates. Top bread with beet and goat cheese salad, letting it overflow onto the plates.
- Transfer the burgers to the top of the salad and then pile each burger with some of the caramelized shallots.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>