Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
In mid to late August, when the corn is ripe and its coming at you at full-force, it is time to can some up for the long winter. This recipe can be adapted to add cabbage, or hot peppers, or grated carrots. I also added some hot red chile flakes too it you and your's enjoy the heat!
- 2 quarts sweet corn (16-20 ears)
- 5 red sweet peppers, diced
- 5 green peppers, diced
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Mix peppers, celery, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt & celery seed in 6-8 qt non-aluminum pot.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine mustard and tumeric. Blend with some of the boiling liquid from pot and then add.
- Return to a boil, 5 minute stirring occasionally.
- Pack and process in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Be sure to check seals.
- Makes 10 pints or so.