Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Dh taught me how to make venison roasts when we met. Tastes just like any pot roast to me.
- 1 venison roast (to fit in small roasting pan)
- 1 large cooking onion, cut in large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped in 3 inch lengths
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut in 3 inch lengths
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon HP steak sauce or 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 garlic clove (crushed or minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch thyme (optional)
- water, to cover
- flour, and
- milk, for gravy
- Rub garlic on roast.
- Put roast in a small roasting pan with some onion under roast and some around it.
- Surround with carrots and celery.
- Fill pan with water just so the top of the roast is exposed.
- Add soya sauce, steak sauce, Worcestershire, bouillon and all spices pouring over roast and in water cover and bake in oven on 300 degrees for 4 hours.
- It should cut with a fork when done.
- Serve roast, with veggies in a bowl and mashed potatoes.
- Make gravy with the stock by putting the roasting pan on the burner on high, mix 1/2 cup milk and 3 TBSP flour well and gradually whisk into broth to make a gravy stirring constantly.
- Add more if needed to thicken.
Being a new wife of an outdoorsman I was bound and determined to prepare his vension in a mouth watering fashion that he would brag to all his buds about and this recipe did it. easy and terrific!!
Excellent recipe - smelled terrific while it cooked. I didn't change a thing. Thanks for posting.
I made this last night for supper; this makes 4 adult size servings. My husband, daughter and I loved it. The gravy was absolutely wonderful. I did substitute large-sized baby carrots for the 5; I'd say use as many as you can to fit into one side of the pan. You could skip the celery, (they shriveled up) and just add more large-sized baby carrots. I did use 1 tsp. of minced garlic to rub both sides of the roast. Tara, your recipe deserves more than 5 stars.