Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious way to eat a healthy breakfast or supper, it's my own version, because instead of using sugar I add Splenda and light maple syrup. These are mouthwatering corn pancakes and they don't have flour. Really low fat, low calorie and they are my favorite food!Try them and let me know!
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (6 to 8 ears of corn)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup light maple syrup
- 1 cup skim milk, depending on how tender the corn is
- cooking spray
- With a knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobs. Put the corn kernels and the other ingredients in the food processor and process. You must get a pancake-like consistency, not too thick.
- Preheat your griddle or a non-stick fry pan to medium high heat and lightly grease it with oil spray. Measure about half cup of the mixture and spread it with a round spoon over the pan until you get a circle of about 4 to 5 inches of diameter.
- When the surface starts to bubble, turn it over with a spatula and cook it on the other side. Each side takes about 2 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Fill them with fresh cheese,in Venezuela, we fill them with "queso de mano" which is a white fresh cheese, delicious, but you could use for example a low fat soft white cheese or anything you want like nonfat slices of turkey or ham. Or even non-sugar jam Or no-fat cream cheese, ricotta, -- anything you want.
Yes, it's missing lots of things!! such as finely ground corn meal, cream, egg, sugar and butter. And no Venezuelan would ever use Splenda, skim milk or maple syrup. The real recipe is: 450 grams of corn kernels (about 3 cups or so), 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 eggs, 4 T. finely ground corn meal, 1 T. sugar, 1 T. butter, 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix all ingredients together, pour onto hot griddle, flip, remove when golden.
I've had cachapas and there's definitely a missing ingredient. Like flour or cornmeal, for instance.
Is there a missing ingredient? I followed the recipe exactly and it was a mess! When I put the batter in the pan , the "pancake" just kind of bubbled apart and there was no possibly of flipping it as it never got solid. Also, the batter was very salty.