A recipe from nutritionist Tara Gidus.
Make and share this Vegetarian Tortilla Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned pinto beans, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mild green chilies, drained
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) jar salsa
- 12 wheat flour tortillas (8 to 10-inch)
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- light sour cream (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray; saute onions and peppers over medium-high heat.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the cumin, chili powder and the can of chopped tomatoes; simmer in the skillet for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together black beans, pinto beans and chiles; mix in jar of salsa.
- Spray the bottom a 9"x13" baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Place two tortillas on the bottom of the dish. Spread one-third of the vegetable mixture onto the tortillas, then one-third of the bean mixture; then sprinkle one-third of the cheese on top. Repeat layering two more times, finishing with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand five minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and a dollop of light sour cream, if desired.