Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
By the Canadian Living Test Kitchen - posted here for safe keeping.
Make and share this Vegetarian Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and potato; cook over medium-high heat until no liquid remains and mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Top each serving with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of green onion.
Hearty, deep flavor. We loved this! Used button, baby Portobella, oyster and shitake mushrooms for variety and depth of flavor. Will make this again, thank you for sharing this recipe, Katzen! Made for July 2009 Veg*n Swap.
This is a good soup with lots of mushroom flavour. It didn't reach the 5 stars for me because I felt that although the flavour was good like there was something missing or no 'wow' for me. But definitely a good and hearty soup with lots of mushroom flavour. Made for 123 Tag.
Great combo of light yet hearty soup. The flavors are great and there is no shortage of the mushrooms. I love non "cream of" soups and this once again confirms that you really don't need all of that fat to have delicious and satisfying soup. I used the very small Yukon Gold potatoes and sliced them thick, there's lots to sink your teeth into.