Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
My vegetarian German friends gave me this recipe. I cooked this today and really loved it, though I didn't have any feta on hand so I used a little mozzarella. Still, I love feta and I'm positive the feta can only make the recipe taste even better! The vegetarian sausages, hot dogs, or vegetarian bacon are optional, but it really make the potatoes taste more authentic and gives it great flavor. You can also add Baco bits which are vegetarian. Serve with a fresh green side salad.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) can vegetarian sausages, chopped (could also use a packet of frozen stripes, vegetarian bacon, chopped or Baco Bits which are vegetari) (optional)
- Boil potatoes in their skins until they are cooked, but not too soft (about 10-15 minutes), then peel and dice them.
- In a skillet fry the onions in oil for a minute then add the vegetarian sausages or bacon if using it. Remove the sausages and onions from the skillet and set aside.
- Fry the diced potatoes by laying the potatoes flat against the pan (you may need to use two pans if yours isn't large enough for all of them to lay flat and touch the pan) with oil and let them stand without mixing until they turn golden brown which should be after 3 or more minutes. After they turn golden brown flip the potatoes to the other side to do the same thing.
- Once both sides are golden brown, add the onions and veggie sausage or vege bacon if using it, mix and then add the feta cheese stirring only once carefully.
- Once the cheese has melted you are finished cooking the Bratkartoffeln.
Who said Germans can't cook? Well, at least that's what my BF said after he tried this (he's part German). I used feta cheese and less oil. I also left out the veggie sausages/bacon. I strongly recommend you boil the potatoes longer than 10-15 minutes, especially since they're whole at that point. I boiled mine for at least 20 minutes. I liked the way they browned nicely in the frying pan. Made for ZWT 6.
I used fingerling potatoes and a tofu Beta Feta cheese. So good! Thanks!
Since the veggie sausages were optional, I left them out. I used olive oil for sauteeing my onions, then added the boiled potatoes. My potatoes were a mix of various heirloom baby and fingerling potatoes that were a real find at the farmers' market. They varied in color from white to yellow, pink and even purple. I kept the skins on. The feta melts and gets creamy-delicious! What a fantastic side dish tonight with our fish! This is a perfect example of a less-is-more winner of a recipe. Thanks, Enjolinfam! Made for PAC Fall 2008.