German-Style Fried Potatoes
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs unpeeled medium-size red potatoes
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons malt vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 6 tablespoons rendered bacon fat or 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- coarse kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons lager beer, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped red onions, divided
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives (green parts only) or 1/3 cup green onion, chopped (green parts only)
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender when pierced with sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
- Refrigerate potatoes overnight.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (do not peel).
- Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette.
- Heat 3 tablespoons lard in each of 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add half of potatoes to each skillet; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Sauté until potatoes begin to brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons beer, then 1 1/4 cups red onions to potatoes in each skillet; cook until beer evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté until potatoes are brown around edges, about 5 minutes.
- Pour half of vinaigrette over potatoes in each skillet and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer all potatoes to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi and thanks for visiting my AM page. My name is Vicki and I love to cook. I've always been an avid collector of recipes and cookbooks - in fact I have over 1200 cookbooks on my computer alone.</p> 8724165"