Recipe by for the love of veggies
I created this recipe when I had a lot of miscellaneous veggies that I wanted to be sure to use before they spoiled. The blend of herbs and peppers really brings out the flavor of this concoction!
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, diced in juice
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup lemon basil (use fresh, keep leaves whole, do not chop)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker except for rice.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Add rice 1.5 hours before end of cooking time.
- This soup freezes very well and will keep up to six months.
- Cooking time includes longest time in slow cooker.
- NOTE: If you can't find lemon basil, regular fresh basil will do fine. However, I love the robust taste of lemon basil in this soup. It really makes a difference.