Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rachael Ray's winter vegetable curry and done in under 30 minutes!
Make and share this Vegetable Curry in a Hurry recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (fire-roasted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons curry paste (mild or hot)
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 scallions (chopped, for garnish)
- fresh cilantro (a generous handful) or fresh parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- slivered almonds (optional) or cashews (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the rice and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 3 cups chicken broth, the bay leaf, lemon zest, coriander, cumin, turmeric and cardamom. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 18 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and discard the bay leaf. Add the butter and toss to evenly coat the rice; set aside.
- While the rice cooks, in a large, deep nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and garlic; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Uncover and stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, curry paste and chutney; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining 1 cup chicken broth and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes. Serve the vegetable curry with scoops of rice on top. Top with the scallions, cilantro and almonds.