Recipe by TeeBee
I saw this recipe on a local news program. It's very easy to make, and very tasty. I used fat-free croutons and spicy V-8 juice.
Top Review by Razzle
I made this for my sister in law who is a vegetarian and she loved it! So, I made it a second time in the same week and everyone loved it. Its a great summer dish if you have zucchini in the garden. I used the v-8 and it worked perfect. Thanks for a healthy & yummy dish.
- 3 cups croutons, homemade are best,boxed are okay
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup provolone cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 -5 zucchini, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato juice
- seasoned dry bread crumb
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil an 8x8 inch glass baking dish.
- Drop in and even out the croutons.
- Evenly distribute the can of diced tomatoes over that.
- Scatter the tomatoes with the grated cheese of your choice.
- In a saute pan over a high flame, heat the olive oil, then drop in the onion and cook it until it's just transparent.
- Drop in the zucchini slices and saute until they begin to wilt.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour in the tomato juice, stir it in a cook of a minute or so to lightly reduce it.
- Pour the mixture over the other ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with some breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
- Use a combination of zucchini and yellow crookneck squash for nice color.
- Any sort of tomato juice will work, even a spicy V8.