1 hr 5 mins
Chef #455857's Note:
Famous Indian recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the rice
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 clove (laung)
- 1 cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 bay leaf (tejpatta)
- 1 cardamom (elaichi)
for the vegetable gravy
- 1 1/2 cups boiled mixed vegetables, cut into cubes (carrots, peas, cauliflower, French beans, potatoes)
- 1/4 cup panir, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons curds
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1For the rice.
- 2Clean, wash and soak the rice for approximately 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- 3In a large pan, boil 3 cups of water with clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and salt and then add the rice.
- 4Cover and simmer till the rice is nearly cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- 5For the vegetable gravy.
- 6Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- 7When they crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
- 8Add the chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 9Add the chopped tomatoes and cook over a slow flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
- 10Add the milk and continue to simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- 11Add the boiled vegetables and paneer and mix well.
- 12How to proceed.
- 13Combine the curds, coriander and saffron and mix well. In a deep vessel, arrange the vegetable gravy on the base. Top with the rice and spoon the curd mixture and ghee over the rice.
- 14Cover with a tight lid and cook on a tava (griddle) over a slow flame for 25 to 30 minutes or bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºC (400ºF) for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 166.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: