Recipe by Jeannette 108
Taken from Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This recipe has been slightly modified to make it sattvic (no garlic and onions.)
- 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade combine the soy sauce, cider, tomato paste and liquid smoke in a wide, shallow bowl or pan and mix with a fork until the tomato paste is fully dissolved.
- Cut the tempeh into thin strips (less than 1/4 inch thick) lengthwise. You should be able to get about 12 strips. Rub the strips with the hing. Submerge the tempeh strips in the marinade and let sit, for at least an hour and up to overnight.
- Heat the oil in an 11 or 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh strips and cook for 4 minutes on one side; the bottom should be nicely browned. Flip the strips over and pour the remainder of the marinade over them. If there isn’t much marinade left add a splash of water. Cover and let cook for 3 more minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Uncover and check for doneness; if necessary keep cooking uncovered until all sides are nicely browned. Remove from heat and serve. (I recommend doubling the marinade recipe.).