I got this recipe from hillbillyhousewife.com, but a reviewer has informed me that this is originally from Joanne Stepaniak's "Uncheese Cookbook." (Thanks!) I think it tastes best after mellowing in the fridge overnight. This "cheese" may be sliced thinly and used on sandwiches. It is magnificent with sliced tomatoes or fried tofu. It makes a decent grilled "cheese" sandwich, especially with some fake bacon. This recipe does not taste exactly like real dairy cheese. I think it tastes better than soy cheese though, and when you have been without dairy cheese for a while, this cheeze is remarkable satisfying. Agar works just like gelatin. Gelatin is made from animal bones and hooves. Agar is made from sea vegetables. Powdered agar can replace gelatin measure for measure. One tablespoon agar flakes is equal to 1 teaspoon powdered agar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Begin by combining the agar and tap water in a small sauce pan.
- 2Heat over a medium flame, stirring often.
- 3When the mixture boils, reduce the heat a bit.
- 4Allow the agar to boil gently for 5 minutes.
- 5Stir often to prevent burning and to make sure that all of the agar dissolves.
- 6Meanwhile, measure all of the other ingredients into a blender container.
- 7When the agar is finished boiling, carefully pour it into the blender container.
- 8Place the lid on the blender and whizz it on high for about a minute.
- 9Stop, scrape down the sides, replace the lid and whizz again, for about another minute.
- 10The mixture should be very smooth and the same orange color as dairy cheddar.
- 11Pour the mixture into a small, lightly oiled loaf pan.
- 12The pan I use is about 3 by 7 inches.
- 13Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow it to chill until firm.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan " Sharp Cheddar Cheese"
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.9
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 87.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: