Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe comes from the wonderful book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" by Terri Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. The cookies are big, soft in the centre with a crunchy outside and mmmoreish taste. Chocolate, nuts and coconut, what more could you ask for?! :) Ive also modified the recipe to be more on the healthy side, which yielded a softer cakey cookie. Ive posted that variation as a separate recipe.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk (like e.g. vanilla soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
- 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (semi-sweet, can also use chopped chocolate)
- 1 cup pecan pieces, chopped and toasted (can use other nuts, too)
- In a medium sized bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl beat together oil, sugar, brown sugar, milk, flax seeds and vanilla using a wire whisk.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in second half. Just before mixture is completely combined, fold in coconut, chocolate chips and pecans.
- For each cookie drop 1/4 cup of dough (about the size of a golf ball) onto a paper-lined or greased cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie and flatten slightly with moistened fingers (or moistened back of measugin cup).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 14-16 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
I'm not vegan, but I made these for a co-worker and have become an instant fan! So easy to make and now that my daughter has an egg allergy I make these for her a lot, she loves them!
These are sooo delicious. Love the added coconut to an oatmeal/chocochip cookie. And, to think these have no butter or eggs!!!! I love that they stayed nice and plump and didn't spread like a normal cookie.
Made for Veggie Swap~