This recipe comes from the wonderful book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" by Terri Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. The cookies are big, soft in the centre with a crunchy outside and mmmoreish taste. Chocolate, nuts and coconut, what more could you ask for?! :) Ive also modified the recipe to be more on the healthy side, which yielded a softer cakey cookie. Ive posted that variation as a separate recipe.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk (like e.g. vanilla soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
- 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (semi-sweet, can also use chopped chocolate)
- 1 cup pecan pieces, chopped and toasted (can use other nuts, too)
- In a medium sized bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl beat together oil, sugar, brown sugar, milk, flax seeds and vanilla using a wire whisk.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in second half. Just before mixture is completely combined, fold in coconut, chocolate chips and pecans.
- For each cookie drop 1/4 cup of dough (about the size of a golf ball) onto a paper-lined or greased cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie and flatten slightly with moistened fingers (or moistened back of measugin cup).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 14-16 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
I'm not vegan, but I made these for a co-worker and have become an instant fan! So easy to make and now that my daughter has an egg allergy I make these for her a lot, she loves them!
These are sooo delicious. Love the added coconut to an oatmeal/chocochip cookie. And, to think these have no butter or eggs!!!! I love that they stayed nice and plump and didn't spread like a normal cookie.
Made for Veggie Swap~