This is from Veganomicon By Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- olive oil, for pan frying
- Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed.
- Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4x6 inches.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I cooked the cutlets last night , they were super good even cold ....I used 1/4 of water mixed with 1 ts of white miso paste mixed it really good ...light Soy sauce and smoked paprika ..next time I will make my own bread crumbs , I like to use healthy ones..I made them pretty thin because I red other post and I didn't want them chewy or gummy ...but next time I will bake them 350 for 15 minutes then flip them and 10 minutes ...I am new at this vegetarian recipes so I am not to sure how long you should cook them but they were so good not to salty , I could eat it all the time ...it gives you the satisfaction of chewing ...Reply
see 32 more