1/4 Photos of Vegan Bolognese
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Cooking vegan for my favorite meat eater is quite an enormous challenge for me sometimes. I noticed that Lauren had ordered spaghetti bolognese the last couple times we were in Italian restaurants. This was my vegan take on an old Italian favorite, and she thought it was great! I decided to use textured vegetable protein (tvp) because it absorbs the flavors of whatever you rehydrate it with.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, not re-hydrated
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce (or Braggs liquid aminos)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the chopped onions and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- 3Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Don't add too much as you will be adding soy sauce later for color.
- 4Then add dry italian seasonings and crushed red pepper, if using. Mix well and add a bit more olive oil if pan looks dry.
- 5Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
- 6Next add the dry TVP, and stir to coat evenly with onion, carrot and spice mixture.
- 7Then add the soy sauce, which will give the TVP great flavor, and a bit darker color.
- 8Pan will be dry, so quickly add the cup of vegetable broth to rehydrate the tvp.
- 9Stir to coat all the tvp well, scraping the sides of the pan if needed.
- 10Let simmer for a minute or two.
- 11Next add your can of tomato paste, mix well and cook for a minute or two before adding the large can of crushed tomatoes.
- 12As sauce begins to bubble, be sure to stir in the tomato paste into the crushed tomatoes.
- 13Reduce heat to low, and simmer while you cook pasta.
- 14Cook whole wheat pasta in a large pot f boiling salted water for 7-9 minutes, or until al dente.
- 15Drain pasta and place in large serving bowl.
- 16Top with bolognese sauce, chopped fresh basil or parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Bolognese
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 754.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein