Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Cooking vegan for my favorite meat eater is quite an enormous challenge for me sometimes. I noticed that Lauren had ordered spaghetti bolognese the last couple times we were in Italian restaurants. This was my vegan take on an old Italian favorite, and she thought it was great! I decided to use textured vegetable protein (tvp) because it absorbs the flavors of whatever you rehydrate it with.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, not re-hydrated
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce (or Braggs liquid aminos)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley or 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Don't add too much as you will be adding soy sauce later for color.
- Then add dry italian seasonings and crushed red pepper, if using. Mix well and add a bit more olive oil if pan looks dry.
- Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Next add the dry TVP, and stir to coat evenly with onion, carrot and spice mixture.
- Then add the soy sauce, which will give the TVP great flavor, and a bit darker color.
- Pan will be dry, so quickly add the cup of vegetable broth to rehydrate the tvp.
- Stir to coat all the tvp well, scraping the sides of the pan if needed.
- Let simmer for a minute or two.
- Next add your can of tomato paste, mix well and cook for a minute or two before adding the large can of crushed tomatoes.
- As sauce begins to bubble, be sure to stir in the tomato paste into the crushed tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer while you cook pasta.
- Cook whole wheat pasta in a large pot f boiling salted water for 7-9 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain pasta and place in large serving bowl.
- Top with bolognese sauce, chopped fresh basil or parsley and serve.