Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The flavors for this scream out Fall Cooking! One could substitute pork or chicken but this is a great way to demonstrate using inexpensive cuts to make wonderful fall off the bone meals.
- 2 lbs veal chops (chuck, bone In 1 Lb. each)
- 2 tablespoons seasoning (Stubbs herb mustard rub or similar)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 small cabbage
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 small apples (Empire)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon thai oyster sauce or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- chopped parsley (optional) or chives (optional)
- Use a 10x3 inch straight sided saute pan or similar with tight fitting cover.
- The Prep:.
- 1. Cut veal chops into 4 equal pieces. I had to use a cleaver to chop a bone or two.
- 2. Lightly season & rub chops with Stubbs or rub of your choice.
- 3. Wrap chops in wax paper or whatever and set aside to marinate for about 30 minute.
- 4. Peel onion and cut in half. Slice each half into thin half rings.
- 5. Half cabbage, core & slice into thin ribbons like for slaw.
- 6. Peel, half, core & slice apples into 1/2 moons.
- Remove Veal from wrap and lightly dust with a good coating of flour shaking off excess.
- The Build:.
- 1. Heat 2 Tbs. of oil in pan set to med-high - high.
- 2. Add veal in 2 batches (do not crowd pan) and sear quickly to get a good golden crust on each side. (do not over cook! we want the inside still rare.).
- 3. Remove veal and set aside.
- 1. Lower heat to med - med-high. Add the rest of oil to the same pan (do not clean pan first we want those brown bits).
- 2. Toss in onions & cabbage & saute till translucent or just beginning to brown.
- 3. Add Apples, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, sage, fennel seeds, sherry, oyster sauce and 1 cup of chicken stock.
- 4. Bring to boil & allow to reduce for about 10 minute.
- 5. Remove 1/2 of onion mixture and set aside.
- The Finish:.
- 1. Place veal chops on top of remaining onion mixture.
- 2. Top with reserved onion mixture.
- 3. Add enough chicken stock to cover.
- 4. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minute.
- 5. remove cover and allow to simmer for ten minutes to thicken the sauce.
- 6. Add a bit more stock if over thickened.
- 7. Season with salt & pepper to taste and toss on 1/4 cup chopped parsley or chives.
- I served this over yellow rice (con pollo).
- Add some steamed veggies and a nice salad and Dig In!
Wonderful flavor and the meat was so tender. I didn't have any cabbage so I used brussel sprouts instead, and it was delicious. I also served it over rice and the juices made the rice even better as well! LD