Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are like little warm peach pies--without the crust! You can serve the peaches with vanilla ice cream instead of the goat cheese. Adapted from a recipe by chef Tom Douglas by way of the Chicago Tribune.
For the vanilla spice rub
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Peaches
- 2 peaches (or nectarines)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (1/4 cup)
- Prepare a grill for medium direct heat.
- For the rub, put the sugar in a small bowl. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the sugar using the tip of a sharp paring knife (tuck the bean into a bowl of sugar for vanilla sugar).
- Mix the vanilla seeds with the sugar, using the tips of your fingers to break up clumps. Stir in the pepper and cinnamon.
- Cut the peaches in half; remove the pits. Brush the cut sides lightly with oil; sprinkle generously with the spice rub (you will not use all the spice rub -- reserve the remaining for another use).
- Place the peaches, cut sides up, on a lightly oiled grill; grill until the peaches are starting to soften and the skin side is marked by the grill, about 3 minutes.
- Turn; grill until the sugar is nicely golden and caramelized, about 2 minutes (move to a cooler part of the grill if they are browning too quickly).
- Turn the peaches cut-side up again; place 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese in the center of each.
- Grill peaches until goat cheese is warmed and just beginning to melt, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese with a little more of the spice rub.
- Serve hot.
This is a lovely, quickly prepared dessert. The peaches soften, but remain firm enough to slice with a fork. The vanilla brings out the freshness of the peaches. The sugar blends with the peach juice and caramelizes a bit under the grill. Soft goat cheese balances the sweetness of the rest of the dessert. I liked this; if you want the dessert to be very sweet, use ice cream. This is a delicious summer dessert.
Truly an outstanding recipe. It was so easy and so delicious. It was made with large fresh peaches.