Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The shortening gives this frosting a nice, crisp exterior and a rich, buttery interior. When I saw this recipe on Cooks.com, I used it to frost "Old Fashioned Spice Cake" (#41292) and found that this recipe can frost two 13x9 cakes. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 -8 tablespoons water
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- With an electric mixer, mix shortening, vanilla extract, and salt thoroughly.
- Add powdered sugar and 4 Tbsp water.
- Beat for 5 minutes.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and beat very, very well until the frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Taste (yum!) to ensure that the frosting is not gritty.
Tastes, good, but WAY to liquidy. Tried putting it on cupcakes. Did NOT work. Will not be using this recipe again.