Recipe by GourmetChris
The shortening gives this frosting a nice, crisp exterior and a rich, buttery interior. When I saw this recipe on Cooks.com, I used it to frost "Old Fashioned Spice Cake" (#41292) and found that this recipe can frost two 13x9 cakes. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 -8 tablespoons water
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer, mix shortening, vanilla extract, and salt thoroughly.
- Add powdered sugar and 4 Tbsp water.
- Beat for 5 minutes.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and beat very, very well until the frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Taste (yum!) to ensure that the frosting is not gritty.