Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
We love the traditional stuffed bell pepper dish. In fact, I have a stuffed pepper recipe already posted. Last night however, I didn't want to go thru all the work of stuffing the two large peppers I had on hand, so I decided to wing it and simplify it. The following is what I came up with and is not only delicious but effortless.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer the brand that uses plum tomatoes)
- 2 large green bell peppers, corded, seeded and coarsely chopped (or 3 to 4 medium)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- dried Italian seasoning, to taste
- cooked rice
- parmesan cheese
- Brown ground meat and onion.
- Drain. Season with salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Add crushed tomatoes and green pepper.
- Cover and simmer until peppers are tender crisp (approx. 20 minutes).
- Serve over cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I also use this recipe when I don't want to stuff the peppers and we call it exploded peppers! I don't use parmesean and I add a couple heaping tablespoons of sourkraut which gives it a zing. My family loves it so much it has become a regular.
This was a delicious recipe, thanks for sharing! Changes I made: I used canned diced tomatoes w/ the juice, skipped the cheese, and used a mix of red, yellow & orange bell peppers instead of green. It was tasty!