1/8 Photos of Uncle Bill's Stuffed Sweet Peppers
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This excellent recipe took me many experimental tries before I came up with a delicious tasting filling. The preparation and cooking time may be somewhat lengthy but is worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large sweet red peppers, seeded and cored
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice or 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 fluid ounce) can plum tomatoes, crush tomatoes and include liquid
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1Carefully cut out the stem portion of the peppers.
- 2Remove seeds and membranes carefully and discard.
- 3Place peppers (stand upright) in a large saucepan.
- 4Add 1/2 cup water, cover and bring to boil and parboil for 5 minutes.
- 5Drain well; set aside covered.
- 6In a medium saucepan, add rice and chicken broth and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- 8In a large frying pan, add olive oil, ground beef and chopped onion and saute' until mixture is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add chopped celery, sliced mushrooms, grated carrots, garlic powder, Italian herb seasoning mix, salt, pepper, crushed tomatoes including liquid, cooked rice, dill weed; mix well and bring to boil.
- 10Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Carefully stuff peppers with mixture.
- 13Place stuffed peppers (standing up) in a deep, oven-proof casserole dish.
- 14Spoon any remaining mixture over peppers.
- 15In a small mixing bowl, mix together ketchup and water.
- 16Pour this sauce equally over the stuffing in each pepper.
- 17Cover casserole dish with a lid or tightly with aluminum foil.
- 18Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes.
- 19Remove lid or foil, sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top of the stuffed peppers.
- 20Continue to bake uncovered at 350 F for another 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 21Serve hot.
- 22You may use a combination of red, orange, yellow or green peppers for a colorful presentation and a variety of taste.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Stuffed Sweet Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.9
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.2 mg
- Sodium 869.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 25.9 g