Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious creamy soup and very easy to make. I developed this soup over 20 years ago and it has been a favorite.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 lb broccoli floret, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium size cooking pot, add water and chicken soup base and bring to boil.
- Add precooked onion/carrot/garlic to soup.
- Add broccoli florets, reserving (6- 8 pieces) of broccoli florets to be added near the end of cooking.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered, until broccoli is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree' soup in batches and return to cooking pot.
- Stir in half and half cream and remaining broccoli florets.
- In a cup, mix together flour and 1/4 cup water to form a thin liquid.
- Bring soup to boil; add flour mixture to thicken soup as desired, stirring constantly.
- Add soy sauce, black pepper and stir well.
- Garnish with chopped parsley when serving.
- You can also use some carrot curls for garnish.
- Serve soup hot or cold.
This was a really great homemade soup. I shredded my carrots instead of chopping them and added a bit more pepper - truly delicious!!
I liked this soup but I felt that it was over seasoned and a bit heavy. The beauty of making soup from scratch is that you don't have to use that much sodium. The soup base was way overpowering as was the soy sauce, and I didnt like the sweetness the carrots added. You could barely taste the subtle flavor combination of garlic, onion, and broccoli that are so signature in cream of broccoli soup. This recipe is great if you love flavor packed foods, but I cook to avoid foods like this, so I was pretty disappointed overall. A tasty soup for those who can't taste. Don't make this soup unless you want cream of broccoli with a flare.
THE MOST DELICIOUS SOUP we have ever tasted. We've made it twice now- once substituting 1 cup cream and 1 cup milk for the half and half, and the second time using evaporated milk in an atempt to be more healthy (I don't know what half and half is- I don't think we have it in Australia). I say forget being healthy and go for the cream. It was still fantastic either way, though.