Uncle Bill's Chicken Soup
This chicken soup recipe is particularily good especially when you have a cold. Substitute and use turkey if it is available.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and chopped, use white part only
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced mushroom
- 2 cups uncooked noodles (Ramon noodles are okay)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large heavy bottom cooking pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, leeks, carrots celery and garlic and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened but not browned.
- Add chicken broth, water, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring to boil.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to soup along with the diced mushrooms.
- Add noodles and bring soup to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup hot.
- Refrigerate any unused portions.
- NOTE: Homemade Chicken or Turkey Stock is so much better than purchased broth.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Wonderful flavor blends that are really accented nicely due to the tymme and rosemary. I used home made canned turkey. (1 pint). I did omit the mushroom and leek. A nice comfort food for this time of year where there's still a little nip in the air. Made for Spice of the Month in the French Forum - rosemary~