Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
On my "must try" list. From the current issue of "Taste of Home." Credit for this goes to Glenda Malan.
- Grease a shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish with the butter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, milk, salt, pepper and garlic.
- cook just until bubbles begin to form around sides of pan.
- Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes; pat dry with paper towels.
- Layer half of the potatoes in prepared baking dish; top with half of the cream mixture and half of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 55-65 minutes or until poatotes are tender.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
The smell while cooking is enough to drive one batty! When it comes out of the oven, the top is browned so perfectly that it should have its picture taken and the FLAVOR, don't even get me started! I can say that my boyfriend actually said more than "this is okay". He actually said "this is pretty good". That in itself is a major accomplishment! This is a great recipe! Thanks
Very good potatoes! I was looking for something to try and I had cream to use up so picked this one. Very simple! I added onions just 'cuz I think it's a must. Didn't have any swiss so I used sharp cheddar and the taste was great. To slice the potatoes, I used the food processor and the some slices were on the ticker side so next time I will probably cook the dish about 1/2 hour longer. I hate when potatoes aren't done. Thanks for sharing!
I don't know if this really counts as a review for this particular recipe. I'm on a diet right now where potatoes are forbidden. No spuds allowed at all! One of the best substitutes that I've been using for potatoes has been celery root, and that's what I used instead of the spuds in this recipe. Aside from that one MAJOR change, I followed the recipe exactly. Well, almost exactly, I gave each layer a little sprinkling of paprika. This was the perfect side dish to some poached salmon, and I had it again on it's own for breakfast the next morning! Yoop, this Somersizes beautifully, you've got a winner straight across the boards here!