Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
photo by Ashley Cuoco
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over low heat; blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat; cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Fold in ham, onion, green pepper and cheese. Pour over potatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir gently then move into a buttered 13X9-inch baking dish; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 1 hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
My grandma makes the best casseroles and comfort foods ever. I couldn't get her to answer the phone the other night to get her recipe so I ended up tweaking this one enough on my own to make it taste just like hers. All I had to do is replace the green peppers with celery and a 10.5 oz can of cream of celery. Right before adding the ham, onions, celery and cheese to the recipe, I added the cream of celery to the base cream. I also added a lot more salt and pepper to the mixture before putting it in the oven.