Best Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- Layer the potatoes, ham and onions in a baking dish.
- Prepare a white sauce: In a medium saucepan stir milk into cornstarch while stirring with a whisk.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add margarine, salt and pepper.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- Pour white sauce over potatoes.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
I loved the reamy sauce, but... my potatoes were still a bit hard even after cooking fifteen minutes past the given time. I was sure to slice them very thin. Maybe it's just me because everyone else seemed to have no problems. I'll try it again. I topped this dish with crumbled bacon and added cheese to each layer.
Very good, basic recipe. It's almost as easy as using the boxed kind, except for peeling and slicing the potatoes. The next time I make this, I would be tempted to add some garlic, and possibly some shredded cheese, or maybe some paprika for color. The sauce itself was very creamy, and the potatoes were tender. Thanks Leta for posting this old fashioned recipe!
see 4 more reviews
Very good, I used flour in place of cornstarch and 1.5 t onion powder rather than onions becuse DD hates the texture of onions. I used locally cured ham which is also salty, so we salted to taste at the end and added a few thin butter slices on top to make the brown bits yummier. A perfect comfort and food and lo cost meal.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
This about me page has been edited.