Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a very creamy and perfect balance between regular cheesecake and pumpkin pie. A hit at any holiday party. Superb pumpkin icing is wonderful and optional. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookie
- 1⁄3 cup finely crushed toasted sliced almonds
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
Superb pumpkin icing
- cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Prep a 9-10" spring form pan as follows: Place a sheet of parchement paper over the inside bottom of the springform pan, fit the rim and lock in place. Trim excess paper from the underside of the pan. Place a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil on counter. Place the locked pan in center and raise up the foil to top rim. Crinkle around the outer top of rim.
- Using some cold butter, coat the bottom, corner (crease) and sides of pan and then press the crushed toasted almonds to the bottom and a little up the side. Sprinkle the crushed gingersnaps onto the bottom of the pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese at low speed until soft and smooth, about 1 minute. Add the pureed pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, mixing well and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs, one at a time, allowing incorporation between each egg.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place the cake pan inside a water bath (which is a large roasting pan and pour in very hot tap water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan.). Bake for 1.5 hours, or until the center reaches 150F with an instant read digital thermometer.
- Remove the cake pan from the larger pan, remove the foil and set aside to cool on a rack. Do not release spring. Refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours (overnight is best).
- Release the spring, and carefully lift off the rim. (at this point, you can easily slide the cake onto a serving platter using the parchment paper).
- SUPERB ICING: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until well blended and smooth. Spread on top of cake or use a pastry bag to decorate.
- NOTE: To toast almonds, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Place in a mini food processor and pulse to chop.