Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is my Great Grandmother's recipe. It is a family favorite for breakfasts. Make sure not to over-mix it or they won't be flaky. Delicious!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter with pastry cutter or two knives.
- Stir in milk and egg together.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean counter and knead dough briefly.
- Roll out dough, not too thin.
- With round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter or jam. Enjoy!
OMG these biscuits are amazing. Crisp, tender, light, flaky and of so flavorful. I am in biscuit heaven, these are perfect, just the way I enjoy my biscuits. I didn't change a thing. This recipe is quick and easy to make with great results. The biscuits were incredible served with pulled pork and equally as delicious with butter and jam. Thank you for sharing my new go too, biscuit recipe. Kudos on making it into my Favorites of 2011. Made for Fall Pac - 2011.
Made these for breakfast today and they are so easy and light and flaky. IMHO it's important to NOT over mix to keep them light and the butter must be cold. Your Grandma really knew her biscuits. Loved that there was no waiting for a rise which meant it was fast and easy when making a last minute decision to make them for breakfast. I followed the directions exactly with no changes.
These biscuits are excellent!!! I did add a little bit more sugar and a tsp of salt but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Very easy recipe with wonderful results. Thank you for posting!