Mom's Buttermilk Biscuits
We like these for breakfast and for dinner. Good for strawberry shortcake too!
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For 9 thicker biscuits, grease a square 8" or 9" pan. For 12 biscuits, grease a 10x13 pan.
- Sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or with a fork.
- When shortening is incorporated, add buttermilk and mix with a fork, being careful not to overmix.
- Sprinkle flour on dough board. Knead dough until smooth, no more than 8-10 times.
- For 12 biscuits, roll dough to about 5/8" thick. For 9 biscuits (8x8 pan) roll dough to about 1" thick.
- Place in pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until done. You can brush with melted butter before cooking if you like.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
These biscuits came out tall, light and fluffy. However, I think it needs like 1 tablespoon or so of sugar because the taste is missing something. The other thing is that the temperature is too high. I only baked mine for 12 minutes but they came out on the burnt side. The next time, I will bake them at 375. Thanks.