Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A common herb used in an unusual way! I have two types of basil in my herb garden - lemon and sweet. I think these two would be perfect for this recipe. Others can be used also, for example - cinnamon or opal. Combine those with the sweet basil for this refreshing drink. You can also substitute dry vermouth for the tequila....DH and friends like the tequila.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar and honey; mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil, lemon basil, and lemon peel.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 30 minute.
- Strain - discarding basil and lemon peel.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- In a large pitcher, combine lemon juice mixture, sparkling water and tequila.
- Stir gently to mix and serve over ice.
- Garnish with lemon slice and basil leaves.