Recipe by Kaykwilts
I got this recipe from the Heritage Quilters. Boy was I surprised to find out this delicious soup had turnips as one of the main ingredients. I am one of the first people to turn my nose up at turnips but this soup will surprise you.
Top Review by jinglebird_2000
Let's start by saying that I don't like turnips, but I had some that needed to be used, so I tried this soup recipe. It was surprisingly good, rather like a light potato soup. I would recommend this to anyone who likes turnips. It's also very easy.
- 2 cups turnips, sliced
- 1 cup potato, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- parsley (optional)
- bacon, crumpled (optional)
- crouton (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place turnips, potatoes, and onions in saucepan.
- Cover with small amount of water and simmer until tender; drain.
- Mash with potato masher.
- Add butter.
- Mix flour with 1/4 cup milk.
- Add to mixture and blend well.
- Add chicken stock.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- remove from heat and add remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- Reheat to serving temperature taking care not to boil.
- Garnish with your choice of parsley, bacon or croutons.