Butternut and Turnip Soup
photo by puppitypup
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, sliced fine
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 1⁄2 sodium-free chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (unflavored) or 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 -2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat, add onion and carrots and saute until soft.
- Add garlic and saute a few more minutes.
- Add a bit salt at each stage, then a little more if needed at the end. I use a total of 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt for the entire recipe.
- Add squash, turnip and bouillon, then just enough water to barely cover the veggies.
- Cover and bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Select a pan to make the roux (white sauce). I use a large, wide pan, large enough to hold the roux plus the vegetable soup.
- Make the roux by sauteeing flour in butter til golden, then slowly stir in the milk or almond milk. Heat until thickened, stirring frequently, then turn off heat.
- Puree the vegetable soup in blender until smooth, then stir it into the thickened roux.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Julie, and I love to cook. I've even gotten to the point where I don't mind the dishes!