Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe from Good Eats. The original recipe as prepared in the show calls simmering a chopped up turkey carcass in vegetable broth for 3 - 4 hours. I tried it that way, and found the resulting soup to be gelatinously fatty, and nobody liked picking little bones out either. But the flavors were really good, so now I make / defat stock separately, and make the soup this way.
- 2 quarts turkey broth
- 2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the turkey broth to a boil then back off the heat to a simmer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.