Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from foodtv's Calorie Commando.A great low fat, high fiber turkey chili that uses mexican chocolate for depth of flavor. Tastes better the next day.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, coarsely chopped
- 2 links turkey sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped mexican chocolate
- 2 cups merlot
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Spray a large saucepan or Dutch oven with a few sprays of the oil spray. Add onion and saute over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add chipotles, sausage, seasonings, beans, tomatoes, chocolate, and wine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in cilantro and cheese just until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.