Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe is from the Seattle Times.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled and diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 6 cups turkey or 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained, rinsed and drained again
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey meat
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup coarsely grated pepper jack cheese
- To prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper, carrots and celery. Sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, chilies and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pinto beans, cooked turkey meat, rice, cumin, oregano, cayenne and salt. Simmer 15 minutes.
- To prepare the nachos: Spread the tortilla chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the cheese. Place on the top rack of the oven and broil until bubbly. Garnish each serving of soup with a few nachos and serve the remaining on the side.