Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is like a mini meatball lasagna, I use my Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian) for this but you can use your own favorite tomato sauce, you will need about 7-8 cups of sauce for this recipe but you can use more sauce then stated when layering if desired, this is a great way to use up any leftover sauce that you have --- I have also made this recipe using my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs this recipe can be doubled and baked in a larger baking dish to feed a crowd, prep time includes preparing meatballs and cooking the pasta :)
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 7 cups favorite pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (can use 2 containers if desired)
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (can use less)
- 3⁄4-1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (can use 1 small yellow onion in place of green onions)
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, slighty beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the meatballs, mix all meatball ingredients together adding in enough bread crumbs to bind the mixture together.
- Form into about 1-inch size balls.
- In a large skillet heat oil and cook the meatballs, shaking the skillet until browned and cooked through (about 6-7 minutes) transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST firm-tender; drain.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 4-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon about 1-1/2 cups sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, then spread half of the meatballs on top of sauce.
- Then spoon HALF of the pasta on top.
- Spread HALF of the remaining sauce and HALF of the cheese mixture over pasta.
- Top with remaining meatballs and then drop dollups of ricotta cheese over meatballs.
- Spread remaining pasta over the ricotta.
- Top with remaining sauce, and then sprinkle with remaining mozza/Parmesan mixture.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.