Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Yes, you can cook a turkey breast in the crock pot! Here's a low-fat stuffing to serve with turkey.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 bone-in turkey breast
- 1⁄3 cup parsley
- Combine broth, barley, onion, cranberries, almonds, sage, and garlic pepper in slow cooker.
- Brown the half turkey breast and add to cooker.
- Cook on low 3-4 hours or until temperature reaches 170°F.
- Place turkey breast on a cutting board, cover with foil, and let stand 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Stir parsley into the stuffing and serve with turkey.
Actually found this exact recipe in my slow cooker cookbook, came here to see how it rated. This made my whole house smell like Thanksgiving with almost no effort what so ever! I didn't have enough dried cranberries, so I used enough dried cherries to make up for it, wonderful! The only addition I made to deviate from the recipe was to add a stalk of chopped celery, I love celery in my stuffing. I never had barley stuffing before and have been really looking for more recipes using barley, this was just wonderful. So much more healthy than a bread stuffing without sacrificing flavor or texture. I would recommend as another reviewer did and cook breast side down, my Grandmother always cooked her poultry that way and it really makes for a nice juicy breast. We'll be making this again!
I cooked a 5.5 lb. whole turkey breast (bone-in), placing it breast side down on top of the barley mixture and it was moist, tender and delicious. Also, I added a handful of whole almonds instead of the slivered and a little dried sage. The leftovers were great over the following days as well. Will definitely be making this one again! So easy! Thanks!
This is a great recipe that looks really fancy but is sooo easy! I increaed the amount of cranberries and almonds in this recipe, and used garlic powder and pepper instead of the garlic pepper seasoning. I used a boneless turkey breast and cooked it in the slow-cooker for about 4 hours -- definately something to try with people over!