1 hr 30 mins
I made this for the first time last night on an almost dare, my cooking skills are not amazing, I am not sure where the recipe originates, my friend gave it to me, anyway it was amazing, to me anyway! It looks difficult and lengthy but it really is not, just takes time to get it together but I love chopping. Prep and cooking time is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onions, diced 1/4 inch
- 1/2 lb linguica sausage or 1/2 lb smoked sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red pepper, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, diced 1/2 inch
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 mango, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 papaya, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup paella rice
- 1 star fruit, sliced 1/4 inch
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 lbs prawns (16/20 count)
- 1Slice the linguica or smoked sausage or chorizo into 1/4-inch rounds, then quarter the sausage.
- 2Marinate the prawns in olive oil which has been infused with saffron.
- 3Season with kosher salt and crushed red pepper.
- 4In addition, other seafood may be added such as clams and mussels.
- 5Cook the onion in half the olive oil until translucent over medium-high heat.
- 6Add the thyme, turmeric, salt and rice.
- 7Stir well.
- 8Add the stock, stir once and set on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until just al dente.
- 9In large sauce pan, warm the garlic in the remaining olive oil and add the diced red pepper.
- 10Add the fruit, sausage and prawns and sauté for one minute.
- 11Add the rum and cook for another minute to burn off the alcohol.
- 12Add the cooked rice.
- 13Toss all together carefully until thoroughly incorporated.
- 14Moisten with a little more stock if necessary.
- 15Mound the paella in a bowl or on a plate.
- 16Garnish the paella with two spears of pineapple, some sliced chives and sliced starfruit if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Shrimp Paella
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 180.8 mg
- Sodium 1139.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: